The EU

Google says the EU requires a notice of cookie use (by Google) and says they have posted a notice. I don't see it. If cookies bother you, go elsewhere. If the EU bothers you, emigrate. If you live outside the EU, don't go there.

Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Representative Charlie Rangel

Yesterday, on the Floor of the House of Representatives Mr Charles Rangel rose on a Point of Personal Privilege.

Representative Rangel wanted to make some points about the ethics violations filed against him.  The rules of the House allow him to take up to one hour to do so.  He took about half that time to make his case.  His was was that he made mistakes, and admitted them on the Floor of the House.  He maintained, however, that he was not corrupt.

I was at the 99 on Route 38 in Tewksbury, having lunch and watching it on Fox, but not listening.  I was doing my best to follow the subtitles.

I have mentioned before that Representative Rangel is an authentic US Army hero from the Korean War.  Maybe that is why I was disposed to accept his statement at face value, that
I love my country and I love my Congress.
For me that statement counts for a lot.  If the House Ethics Committee votes for guilty, I hope that he is allowed to proceed with dignity.  The man is 80 years old.  I think his politics is wrong headed, but he is a patriot who loves his country and has served it.  Should he have have learned from Adam Clayton Powell, Jr?  Absolutely; but sometimes we forget those lessons of our youth.

Justice should be done, but justice should include mercy.

Regards  —  Cliff

1 comment:

Renee said...

Saw an ad online in which Golnik tried to connect Tsongas to Rangel. Tsongas rejected Rangel's contribution in 2007. Unlike other Representatives, a Tsongas aide responded in a timely manner when it became known that the money was not good.

back in March 2010

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/opinion/columns/Congressmen-still-mum-on-Rangel_s-_Dirty-Money_-86022602.html

"Rep. Niki Tsongas, D-Mass., also rejected a $7,000 donation she received from Rangel in 2007. A Tsongas aide told the Boston Herald on Friday that Tsongas did so "because [she] strongly believes that members of Congress have to be held to the highest ethical standards; she is disappointed by Congressman Rangel's actions."

Tsongas had not been included in The Examiner's profiles, but she was criticized heavily by the National Republican Congressional Committee for accepting Rangel's money."