The EU

Google says the EU requires a notice of cookie use (by Google) and says they have posted a notice. I don't see it. If cookies bother you, go elsewhere. If the EU bothers you, emigrate. If you live outside the EU, don't go there.

Tuesday, November 15, 2016

Know English When On The Phone


For John, BLUFOr, we could change the dictionaries.  Nothing to see here; just move along.




The electric company was late sending out the bills and my wife called them.  Unfortunately, my name is on the account and I have to confirm that I agreed to her talking for us.

The woman from the electric company asked me to "verify my name". So, I waited for her to tell me my name, so I could "verify" it.  You know, as in this definition:

make sure or demonstrate that (something) is true, accurate, or justified: his conclusions have been verified by later experiments | [with clause] : “Can you verify that the guns are licensed?”
Why can't these folks just ask me to give my name and address.  I would be reasonably happy to do so in order to get some service.

I ended up getting unceremoniously dumped onto the Spanish translation line.

However, I am happy to put up with this kind of problem as long as the electric company has built in a lot of redundancy, so I keep getting my electricity notwithstanding problems of earthquakes, weather and sabotage.

Regards  —  Cliff

No comments: