The EU

Google says the EU requires a notice of cookie use (by Google) and says they have posted a notice. I don't see it. If cookies bother you, go elsewhere. If the EU bothers you, emigrate. If you live outside the EU, don't go there.

Monday, April 11, 2011

MoDo and Bob Dylan

I don't follow music the way Kad Barma does.  In fact, I am still stuck in the 1930s and 1940s.  I like The Chairman and the Little Sparrow.  I like Cole Porter songs.  And, aside from items being pushed to me by my Middle Brother, I have yet to look at Sunday's edition of The New York Times.  Because of this, I missed MoDo's column on Bob Dylan.

The truth is, in my mind I confuse Bob Dylan with that espionage agent, Roald Dahl.  But Roald Dahl is so much older, having been a fighter pilot in WWII, the Big One.

But, Blogger Ann Althouse did comment on MoDo's column.  In a post with a title quoting a line in another blog,
"I can hardly wait for The Althouse Woman to tear Maureen Dowd a new one today on MD's put down of Bob Dylan performing in China."
Professor Althouse gives me a whole new appreciation for Singer Dylan.

I love reading MoDo's work, but sometimes she does follow a false path, like Acting Pilot Officer Dahl when he crashed in the Libyan Desert
An RAF inquiry into the crash revealed that the location to which he had been told to fly was completely wrong, and he had mistakenly been sent instead to the no man's land between the Allied and Italian forces.
And, from Professor Althouse we learn that often history is mis-remembered.

Regards  —  Cliff

3 comments:

Craig H said...

BoDy recently performed in Hanoi, too, which some folks found even more ripe for comment. Last time I saw him (in Manchester, NH with Elvis Costello) he was incomprehensible and redeemed only by the quality of his backing musicians, but, then again, I was too young to have fallen too hard for the 60's version seemingly stuck forever in most people's heads. (I do have seven or eight of his albums on my iPod, though...)

Jack Mitchell said...

Yo, Cliff.

Based on our City Life talk were I called those fearmongers over at CAGW "scumbags," I figured I'd try to flesh out your point that China does not hold much of our debt.

Sorry, I leaned of Teh Wiki-
Foreign ownership
Composition of U.S. Long-Term Treasury Debt held by foreign states, Nov. 2005-Nov. 2010. June figures are results of comprehensive Treasury Department surveys.As of January 2011, foreigners owned $4.45 trillion of U.S. debt, or approximately 47% of the debt held by the public of $9.49 trillion and 32% of the total debt of $14.1 trillion. The largest holders were the central banks of China ($1.1 trillion) and Japan ($885 billion).[28][29] The share held by foreign governments has grown over time, rising from 25% of the public debt in 2007[30] and 13% in 1988.[31]

If'in I kalkalates rightly, that means China holds $1.1 Trillion out of $14.1 Trillion or 7.8% of our debt. Japan holds 6.2%. Yet, no scary commercials about the Japs? Why not?

I'm sure even folks that graduate "land grant" colleges have heard of Pearl Harbor.

Lying scumbag fearmongers must be renounced.

C R Krieger said...

Somewhere out there is a comment from Jack Mitchell, which I will try to bring to life in a separate post.

Here.

Blogger sent me an EMail notification, but wasn't able to put it up on the Web.

Regards  —  Cliff