The EU

Google says the EU requires a notice of cookie use (by Google) and says they have posted a notice. I don't see it. If cookies bother you, go elsewhere. If the EU bothers you, emigrate. If you live outside the EU, don't go there.

Sunday, July 25, 2010

Wearing the Uniform

A while back there was a comment from one commenter to another that his service to the nation in uniform had earned him his right to his opinions, much as the first commenter didn't agree with said opinion.  That immediately elicited a comment from someone who had not served in one of the seven uniformed services and who thought it was a putdown.  Knowing all three commenters, I judged it not to be a putdown but I saw how it could be taken as such.

Here is the corrective, from a retired Air Force Lieutenant Colonel (retired suggests 20 years of service and lieutenant colonel suggests about 15 years of commissioned service).  It is from the San Jose Mercury News.

Hat tip this time is to my middle brother, Lance, who, as a Civil Servant, served his nation well in the contracting area of the US Air Force.

Regards  —  Cliff

3 comments:

Jack Mitchell said...

The long form: http://www.alternet.org/story/147610/fighting_wars_won't_make_you_a_hero/?page=entire

Rarely, do grunts try to out "hero" each other. Maybe in jest, to egg a squad member into overcoming a weakness. But, seldom will anyone try to wear that badge.

I know plenty of folks that try to flaunt their service for political gamesmanship. NH state Rep. Al Baldasaro would be one. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tz9aS60e4wY
Try 1:46

Craig H said...

Thanks for this.

To be clear, my sensitivity is specifically to litmus tests as measures of citizenship, whereby, as Orwell would put it, some animals become more equal than others. To suggest military service conveys more rights (to an opinion, or any other kind) than any other sort of citizenship is to suggest that our national ideals are lost.

The simplest expression is paraphrased straight from our Declaration of Independence: ALL are equal.

ncrossland said...

The context of my comment is that my service AT LEAST earned me the right to my opinion...and to voice it freely.

I did not claim nor will I ever claim "hero status" and I resent the implication that somehow I have done so.

I reiterate for Kad Barma....I never said, suggested, or in any other way coveyed that my military service entitles me to anything more than any other citizen. BUT, it earns me at least the same rights as any other citizen.

Thus, the 'corrective" that has been applied to me is not corrective in that it does not fit the sin or defect.