The EU

Google says the EU requires a notice of cookie use (by Google) and says they have posted a notice. I don't see it. If cookies bother you, go elsewhere. If the EU bothers you, emigrate. If you live outside the EU, don't go there.

Sunday, June 28, 2009

Who Is Running?

In the middle of last week I went to the Campaign Kick-Off for City Councilor James L. Milinazzo (pictured right).  Isn't it intresting that when the Councilors are lined up alphabetically, Councilor Milinazzo is last.  There is a stretch of 13 letters ignored.

At any rate, Challenger Ray Weicker (he claims not to be related to Lowell Weicker) was there and someone pointed out to him he needed an answer to the question of what he would cut to save money.  There was some debate, Lawyer Weicker wondering it any answer wouldn't just make enemies and another suggesting he would look uninformed and wishy-washy if he dodged the question.

With two current members of the City School Committee standing there, I suggested he could say he would cut the School Committee to save money.

I was joking.  The education of our youth is critical to the future of this City. Not the only key factor, but still sine qua non.♠

But, it raises an interesting question.  One of the two School Committee members I was standing with has been in The Lowell Sun two days in a row.  (Located, at least for a while, here and here and here.)  And, she has been the subject of discussion over at Left in Lowell and the Lowell Shallott promises it's own opinion on Monday (I urge caution here, as the Lowell Shallott can be a little rough.

At this point I should point out that I actually know Regina and have for about a decade.  From time to time I have been on WCAP with Regina and George Anthes.  I have phoned in when Regina was on in the afternoon to disagree with her on this or that issue.  Also from time to time I have electronically forwarded items on terrorism as they have come into my hands.  On the other hand, we do not carry on a continuing dialogue, on line or in person.

Another point is that the supposed threats sound a little off key.  While I have never been threated by Regina, or anybody else connected with the school system, the idea that it would be the arms then the head just doesn't sound right to my ear.  Normally when I have heard something like that it has been more like "I am going to rip his lips off" or "I am going to rip his head off and ... ."  The second is a common enough expression, as I confirmed at dinner the other night.  On the other hand, an expression not common enough that I hear it frequently.  I wonder if Ms Scott misheard, or Ms Faticanti misspoke; or they cleaned it up for the family newspaper.

Frankly, I am somewhat dubious about the criminal case.  On the other hand, I am not a lawyer.  In the end, it might go away.  Or not.  In saying that I am not trying to influence the jury pool. But, is the criminal case, as someone suggested earlier, a setup for the "hostile workplace" issue?

The issue of a "hostile work environment" came up in an article in Friday's The Lowell Sun.  The School Committee is forming up to talk about it.  That said, several members want to wait and see what happens with the legal case.  (That is a polite way of saying they wish to kick the can down the road, committee member Jackie Doherty notwithstanding.)

This could go on forever—or at least past the election in November.  I am just saying that the wheels of justice tend to grind slowly, notwithstanding our right to a speedy trial.

Let us assume that Ms Faticanti wins reelection in November.  (At this point I would think that is the way to bet.)  There is, so far, only one potential challenger who has taken out papers to run for School Committee, or so I hear.  Further, I hear that she has also taken out papers for City Council.

So, in making our scenario, let us assume that the School Committee becomes a hostile work environment for Ms Faticanti in 2010 and she resigns and moves to Harvard, Mass.  Who would take her place?  Special election?

Where am I going with this?  We need to be doing something to crank up enthusiasm on the part of our fellow residents to run for office.  I played "sacrificial lamb" twice, so I am looking for a bunch of you other folks to take at least one stab at it.  Sure, you will be beaten.  That is part of life.  The good news is that you will be helping to make the City a better place by helping to make the incumbents less secure and by helping to form up issues and by giving your fellow residents some options on the ballot.

Regards

♠  I know, but this one I knew, but had to look up the spelling.  "The indispensable and essential action, condition, or ingredient."  If President Andy Jackson can use it, I can use it.

5 comments:

The New Englander said...

Cliff,

I was wondering if a "Lowell Weicker" pun could be put in there somewhere...maybe we can find him somewhere in CT and have him come stump for Ray.

Speaking of Lowell Weicker, hold that thought because I want to make sure we continue talking about the future for Independents in American politics. Lowell Weicker doesn't *really* count for me, because just like Joe Lieberman, he's an exile from a mainstream party. That would apply for Christy Mihos' last bid, too.

Angus King and Jesse Ventura may be *real* Independents, but both were well-known in their states before being elected.

I still think a mainsteam Independent could make a huge footprint in a race...one of the problems with third parties is that they're often associated (often RIGHTLY!) with single-issue candidate or wack-jobs. It doesn't have to be that way..

best,
gp

C R Krieger said...

Greg

While I like the idea of Independents, there is always the money issue in the back of my mind.  Where are they getting the money?  Money is the "Mother's Milk" of politics.

I guess that for some raising money is easy—they have a natural touch—but for the rest of us it is a lot of work.  We are told that Congressmen begin raising money for the next run as soon as they are declared the winner in the last election.  The average for winning challengers for the Lowell City Council last time round was $40,000 (granted the spread was like $40,000 itself, but still).  The late reporter, Paul Sullivan, of The Lowell Sun, told me I wasn't a serious challenger to Rep David Nangle when I told him what I thought I could raise.

Then, are we looking for all Independents in the Great and General Court, which I think Kad Barma would advocate?  If so, how do they organize?  That may be the easy question.  How do they support each other at the next election.  It would seem to me that that is when parties would be born.

As a side note, I don't think Ray Weicker is looking for help from Lowell (claim of no relation there).

A serious question in the back of my mind is how "non-partisan" our non-partisan local elections are.

Regards  —  Cliff

Craig H said...

The rumor as to the true nature of the two body parts threatened to be ripped off (or cut off, as the version of the rumor may be) is hardly suitable for print, but removes the concern about it being plausible as a common expression. My vote is that it was cleaned up for newspaper consumption, but it's pretty clear no one but Regina and Chris are going to know for sure. Which is, when it's all said and done, the discouraging part, since I took from Rita's explanation that there were indeed things said that should never have been, and that sort of thing has no place in public service.

I'm looking forward to having many new nominees from which to choose her and many others on the city council's replacements. This fiscal crisis seems to be bringing out the worst, rather than the best, in the crew that's mismanaging our affairs right now.

Mimi said...

Cliff:

I am sorry I did not see you at Jim's kick-off party. I was there also. And I would have looked forward to meeting Ray Weicker.

I totally agree with you we need to help "make the incumbents less secure and by helping to form up issues and by giving your fellow residents some options on the ballot."

Also, if the local Republicans ever got their act together, they could have 2 members of their rank sitting on the City Council.

C R Krieger said...

I agree with Muriel about the need to have challengers.  Thanks, Muriel.

Regards  —  Cliff