The EU

Google says the EU requires a notice of cookie use (by Google) and says they have posted a notice. I don't see it. If cookies bother you, go elsewhere. If the EU bothers you, emigrate. If you live outside the EU, don't go there.

Friday, April 10, 2009

RMV Visit

Sadly, another birthday was coming up, so I hied myself on down to the Lowell RMV.

I was going to get there at 0800, but my wife suggested it opened at 0900. She was right, except for Thursday, the day I picked.  On Thursdays the RMV stays open late and thus opens at 1000.  I got there at 0930, hoping to avoid the first wave, but got in line at 0940, about a dozen back.  It as cold and windy and I wished I had put on my thin long johns.  As the clocked moved to 1000 the line was long enough to be to the other end of the building.

The door opened a couple of minutes late and there a slight delay as the person opening the door had trouble setting the panic bar lock-back device.

We moved right up to the greeter and I was up to her in a couple of minutes.  In the mean time a gentleman was ushering folks in and bending the line back into the building and down one side, noting to all that we needed to get all the people in because it was cold outside.

I was given a form, told to fill it out and told to then come back to the head of the line.  The form was easy to fill out and I was quickly back with the greeter, who checked my form and gave me a number and told me the area to sit.

I was on the bench for about five minutes and was called up.  Without a word exchanged (I am basically shy) I passed in my form and my eye exam (done about a month earlier with my eye doctor) and my current license.  The lady quickly checked my paperwork, entered some information in a computer and then told me where to stand to get my photo taken.  The system popped up my photo right there for me to look at and it wasn't half bad for my age and weight.

The clerk gave me my temporary license and promised my regular would arrive in the mail within a week.

I then asked if Eileen Trainor was in.  Eileen, who I knew from her time as Choir Director at the Immaculate, runs the operation and I wanted to tell her that I thought it had gone very smoothly.  Alas, she was taking a day off.  The lady, waiting on me, who is from Saint Michael's, said that everyone needs a break once-in-a-while. I agree.

My experience with the RMV was very good. In and out in less than 20 minutes.  My wife got her new license a month ago and she said her experience was excellent.

The changes brought in by Daniel Grabauskas several years ago have stuck.  (The man needs his own Wiki page.)

For my money the RMV continues to be an example of good service for public and private organizations alike.

Regards  —  Cliff

No comments: