The EU

Google says the EU requires a notice of cookie use (by Google) and says they have posted a notice. I don't see it. If cookies bother you, go elsewhere. If the EU bothers you, emigrate. If you live outside the EU, don't go there.

Sunday, February 22, 2009

Spaces

A friend of mine, Bill, who lives in Chelmsford, chided me about the lack of two spaces after periods (full stops) in the blog.

He is correct.  The HTML editor will put in one space, even if you type two or three.

Thus, the pure HTLM paragraph looks like this. The space between two sentences is very small. I am putting in two spaces, but it doesn't look like it.

Here is the same sentence with an artificial correction.

Thus, the pure HTLM paragraph looks like this.  The space between two sentences is very small.  I am putting in two spaces, but it doesn't look like it.

I am using the code that stands for Ampersand, Non-Breaking Space Semicolon.  Here it is, with spaces between the characters: "& n b s p ;".  If I close them up it looks like this " ".

Does anyone have an opinion? It takes time to put in the artificial space, but it looks nicer. Post a comment at the bottom of this post or send me an EMail at crk@theworld.com.

Thanks

Regards  --  Cliff

1 comment:

Craig H said...

As one who chose long ago to barely punctuate at all in his own blog, I can hardly find fault with single-spaced sentence breaks. However, I will also say I'm compulsive about double-spaced sentence breaks in everything else that I write, (as well as capitalization and all sorts of other popular syntactical and grammatical conventions), and I'd opine that all the software that defaults to a single space ought to be rewritten.

But, seriously, for all the extra effort to add the extra space while that software remains un-rewritten, I'd say the rest of us should just happily suck it up and read just that little bit more carefully.

It's well worth it!