The EU

Google says the EU requires a notice of cookie use (by Google) and says they have posted a notice. I don't see it. If cookies bother you, go elsewhere. If the EU bothers you, emigrate. If you live outside the EU, don't go there.

Friday, January 9, 2009

Reading Down and to the Right

I have been reading a PDF file of an article in Joint Forces Quarterly on line. The format of the article is three long columns on a magazine page that is about the size of a piece of paper--8 1/2 by 11.

Frankly, the format is inconvenient, as I am always scrolling up and down--my monitor is oriented sideways and not vertically, as some where in the 1980s, and maybe even today. I am sure there is software to allow one to rotate one's monitor. But, having it horizontal rather than vertical aids in other activities on the computer.

Perhaps it is time to introduce a new format for reading material. This would be one where "columns" now become "rows" and information would spread horizontally along the page and then skip down to a new row.

I wonder if I should patent such an idea? Probably not. This seems like an older format after all. Maybe I will just send this URL to the editor. After all, it is all just ones and zeros and they should be able to do an "on-line" alternative version with a couple of key strokes.

Regards -- Cliff

No comments: