The EU

Google says the EU requires a notice of cookie use (by Google) and says they have posted a notice. I don't see it. If cookies bother you, go elsewhere. If the EU bothers you, emigrate. If you live outside the EU, don't go there.

Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Cell Phone Messages

When I get a cell phone message, I listen to it like I was talking directly to the person. I believe, perhaps incorrectly, that it would be impolite to ignore the message and just call the person back, asking them to repeat the message. Besides, listening to the message allows me to think about what the person said before I talk to them.

When I call my Daughter and she doesn't answer the phone and it rolls over to voicemail, I leave her a message. Invariably, she notes that I have called and ignores the voicemail message. I assume she purges them at some point. I find that on my plan when I get over about 15 saved voicemail messages the system starts to complain to me.

This time I left a message with a "pass word" embedded in it. I didn't hide the pass word. I made it clear that it was a pass word and repeated it three time. I said, in the voicemail message, that the next time she calls me she had better have the pass word or I will send her back to her messages. Since she not only doesn't listen to voicemail, she also doesn't read this blog too often, I feel free to tell you what it is--Phyllis Diller.

So, I told my wife about my plan and she said:  "I don't listen to them either." I am beginning to see a trend here.

Am I the only one who listens to voicemail messages?

Regards  --  Cliff

2 comments:

The New Englander said...

Cliff,

I'd never heard of this trend before, but I can see the frustration -- voicemail serves a great purpose because you can convey a lot of information quickly without having to rely on being synchronous with someone else. Especially considering some voicemails say, "Here's what you need to know..no need to call back.." it's definitely a waste of time and effort when they're not listened to.

One possible solution I see here is just setting up a system with the wife and daughter that says you'll just hang up before leaving a voicemail, and they will just know to call you back...but the frustrating thing with that is that it takes away your ability to use voicemail to pass information that doesn't need two-way comms (i.e. meet us for dinner at 7:30)..

..so the next best solution I can see here is just to get into text messaging -- texts are great because they're non-intrusive, asynchronous, and aren't hampered by spotty reception or too much background noise..a great way to say, 'Here's the who-what-when of what's going on' fairly quickly and easily..

either way, good luck!

best,
gp

C R Krieger said...

I went with the text message. I am told by my wife that it is more expensive than leaving a message.

But, it worked, for now.

Thanks

Regards -- Cliff